What the conservative movement now needs to do is once again show the people ( as we did in 1979/1980 and again in 1994) that we live center to right lives in the United States and that we need to vote in accordance with how we live. The rebirth of the Contemporary Conservative movement needs is to start from the ground up and rebuild the itself by using these 10 things as a guide along with the core beliefs we still hold dear:
1. Education - Educate young people on the long term benefits of fiscal conservative policy in more detail than bullet points and sound bites…..kids today can disseminate loads of information quickly and in a detailed manner due to Internet browsing skills and we must give them all the information they need to make decisions quickly. On the opposite side of the coin we must educate on the long term fallacy of socialistic policy and how no economy can sustain itself, in the long term, under a non free enterprise system.
2. New Blood - We need new blood – In the Republican Party especially and also in the conservative movement we need a dedicated effort to get the under 40’s and more importantly under 30’s involved in campaigning and running for office. Also minority outreach, our belief system comes from minds of abolitionists, making those whodisenfranchised self reliant and that racial equality stregthens our country. We need to return to those basic principles to show minorities that the conservative movement contains those deep rooted beliefs that minority communities hold dear and that the "nanny" state of socialist governements actually hurts the people they profess to help by keeping them in a constant state of need.
3. Ethics - Cut those politicians that do wrong off and send them packing with no second changes and no defense-we need a clean slate of principled politicians that can debate the issues without any side problems.
4. Resources - Use all resources available to us more effectively to get our message out there to the masses – Movies, Radio, T.V, Internet, interactive media need to be used more effectively and more proactively 365 days a year, every year.
5. Fiscal Conservatism – Fiscal Conservatism needs to lead the way in the rebuilding of the conservative movement. We need to show people that lower taxes, tax incentives for small businesses, the advocacy of lower governmental spending practices and a lower federal debt; the benefits of smaller government, less federal spending, fewer earmarks and entitlement programs, and lower general taxes on all Americans.
6. Self Definition – We conservative need to less identify ourselves as Republicans and more stringently identify ourselves as conservatives. Then as a voting block separate from party affiliation we can dictate policy that will best benefit America. As with racial identify or gender identity we can not afford to be taken for granted by the party we most closely relate to but we need to show the value we hold as a voting block ad them be proactive I the policies we deem necessary.
7. We care too - Stress the belief that conservatives care about the ills of society and work to fix those problems but do not feel it falls to a government body to resolve them but all of us to resolve it. Stress the belief that conservatism and empathy complement each other, particularly in opposition to common conservative party platform planks such as advocating laissez-faire economic policies. A conservative should see the social problems of the United States, such as health care or immigration, as issues that are better solved through cooperation with private companies, charities and religious institutions rather than directly through government departments….we are not heartless, but believe private enterprise (non-governmental) is better equipped to tacked the ever changing needs of the worlds social problems.
8. Big Government is Bad Government - We must also stress that with everything government gives you, they in turn (by either by design, nature or purpose) will take something away such as freedoms or rights. Citizen’s rights and the constitution should be paramount in the sustaining democracy of America and should not be susceptible to a changing administration of current philosophy; we should always stress that the constitution is not a “living” documents but contains the core tenants of this country’s foundation.
9.A Strong Defense Helps Peace in an non-peaceful World - A strong national defense should always be a key to our foreign policy and protects our democracy and should be used to protect fledgling democracies around the world as well our way of life.
10. 2nd Amendment protects us from ourselves - The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is not negotiable and should be sacred in that it protects our citizens from a government that over steps its power and influence, the second amendment should never be modified as long as such possession does not threaten national security(the importance of the second amendment should be taught as a measure to fight off governmental tyranny and not as a hunting or protection of home invasion measure)
The 10 things should be combined with the below tradition conservative views to empower Americans and re-establish the conservative movement:
Checking change on tradition
A strong national defense
Economic allocative efficiency (as opposed to popular equity)
Stronger law enforcement and anti-crime laws, including the death penalty
Parents, rather than school teachers, educating children about sex
Choice in education
Private medical care and retirement plans
Weakening or cancellation of failed social support programs
Prohibition or limitation of abortion (partial-birth abortion ban)
Support enforcement of current laws regarding immigration
Support tightening of border security
Respect for our military... past and present
Low taxes for everyone
Opening foreign markets to U.S. products
Less power for the federal government and more for local and state governments